A new mapping system is available to help in your exploration of Valdese Lakeside Park.
At this address – https://friendsofthevaldeserec.org/app/vlp/ – you will find the colored trails – names and mileages. You will have the choice of showing trails on a background of the terrain or the proposed park plan. Most amazing is the “You Are Here” feature. While out on the trails, you can access the maps with your smart phone to show your location in the park. You can even follow along as you move.
To use the map features, click on the icon that looks likes layers or a stack of paper.
This will bring up the choices for background – Park Plan (just the Destination by Design Park Plan with white surround), Hybrid Park Plan (with street surround), photo (shows buildings and roads), Terrain (lines for streets and topographic lines).
Below the background choices (choose one), you can select none or all of what to show on the map.
The colored trails are mapped with ribbon at the park. See Red and Yellow ribbons at the intersection of those trails in picture on right.
The 10 Orange/White Orienteering Markers create a scavenger hunt across the property.
Thanks to Eric Heile for creating this Interactive Map.
Four major trails at Valdese Lakeside Park have been flagged by FVR members.
Green Way 1.3 mi
Blue Point 0.5 mi
Red Outer 1.6 mi
Yellow Connector 0.35 mi
Directions to VLP
Every year, Bimbo Bakeries chooses a project in the community to put their time and money toward. Last year, is was landscaping at the new splash park. This year is was a huge face lift to Children’s Park.
Starting at 9:00 am, about 22 folks with Bimbo started to work leveling the playground that had been sand. By early afternoon, they had placed new borders to contain mulch that will allow for new grassy areas. A sand box was created with the sand that had been the base of the playground. The picnic shelter was pressure washed. The entrance sign and railings were painted. The scorer’s table was painted.
Continue reading Bimbo Bakeries Workday at Children’s Park
Goal: $200K donations from community for Valdese Lakeside Park
Deadline: April 1, 2019
Why: To show grant officials our continued community support, to be eligible for large awards that require matching money and to grow our $200K to $800K.
How: Read on….
- Gather $200K in donations from the community by April 1, 2019.
- Use the community’s $200K as matching money for a $200K greenway along the waer grant from the state – DEQ (North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality). A 10ft wide crushed fine greenway along the lake and creek would be built (if awarded). Application due Dec 31, 2018.
- Take that $400K (if awarded) and use it as matching money for a $400K NC PARTF Grant. Application due May 1, 2019. This grant is for $400K in amenities.
- The town will have $800K (grown from local donations of $200K) to start building the park (if awarded).
Continue reading Growing Amenities Money
For the June 2 Trails Day Event, Santis Limezs created an Orienteering Event to help explore the park trails in a fun way. Santis placed 9 markers on the trail, handed out maps to the participants and recorded their departure time – and return time to see who completed the event with the best time. Using mountain bikes (you can also walk or run the course), these were the best times
Holden Curry (49 minutes)
Jason Feimster (52 min)
Bearcats Team – Jaxon and Ethan (54 min)
This is the map Santis created, so you can try it on your own….
Continue reading Orienteering at Valdese Lakeside Park
As a part of the American Hiking Society’s National Trails Day, Friends of the Valdese Rec, with the support of the Valdese Parks and Recreation Department, hosted an event to get people out exploring the trails of Valdese Lakeside Park.
During the 2.5 hour event, the 70 participants could choose to do one or more of the following:
- a 4 mile trail run
- trails hikes (1-4 miles), participant chose – what to see and how far
- bike the trails with an orienteering event – find 9 markers (about 3.5 miles)
- learn the basics of disc golf and learn to throw from Foothills Disc Golf
- learn about the school mountain bike team located in the county
- just hang out
Continue reading Trails Day Event