Mayor Black delivered incredible news for Valdese Lakeside Park at the May Council meeting. The Town received an Award Letter from NC DEQ Water Resources announcing the receipt of a $200K grant for 4000 linear feet of greenway, permeable parking and storm water control. This is $200K to match our donors’ $200K to start a 10 ft wide crushed cinder greenway along Lake Rhodhiss and McGalliard Creek!!
Where we stand with donations and grants?
- $262K in Donations from the Community
- May 3 – Awarded $200K DEQ Grant for 4000 linear ft of greenway, storm drainage and some permeable parking – must match with $200K of Community Donations
- PARTF Grant Submitted on April 30 for restrooms, picnic area, dog park, wildlife viewing platform, kayak launch, walking trail to viewing platform, parking, entry road for $285K. The DEQ grant our and community donations will cover the match. Award announced Aug/Sept.
- Recreational Trails Program Grant – Requesting $100K to match $25K from community
to help pay for a 200-foot bridge across McGalliard Creek to complete the trail from McGalliard Falls Park to Valdese Lakeside Park – creating a 2-mile greenway connecting the parks. Total cost of the bridge is estimated at $250K. Passed Pre-Application process and moved on to final application. Award will be Oct/Nov.
What else do we need?
- $120K to complete greenway to creek crossing bridge from where DEQ money stops in Lakeside Park (3000 more ft)
- $88K for bridge if we get RTP grant; $188K needed if no RTP grant (using $62K of remaining donations)
- $120K to complete greenway from bridge to McGalliard Falls Park (3000 ft) – may take more based on the steep slope at the McGalliard Falls picnic shelter to make it ADA
Please Donate Today!