The purpose of Friends of the Valdese Rec, an all-volunteer, 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit corporation, is to support the Valdese Parks and Recreation Department with volunteer hours and fundraising for the betterment of the Department, while at the same time benefiting the town, the citizens and the environment.
- Conservation Kids – Crafts and Reading, 3 yrs to 5th grade
- Trail Blazers – High School Club – trail building, hiking, learning career options
- For all the details, see our Newsletters
- Created a park plan – ValdeseLakesideParkPlan – to show the benefits and features of the Valdese Lakeside Park (VLP). Met with officials to facilitate land purchase.
- Raised money for the VLP land appraisal, land purchase and amenities.
- Planted a Japanese Maple, ice plants and hostas in planters in front of Rec Building.
- Free Family Fun at the Falls – lunch, crafts, learning stations
- Community Picnic at Valdese Lakeside Park
- January 1 – 5K & 10K Trails Runs at VLP
- Had a cleanup day at McGalliard Falls – cut over grown trees, piled up all limbs, picked up trash.
- Monthly Workdays at Valdese Lakeside Park.
- Hosted a technology help session on how to use smart phones, tablets, laptops.
- Held trash pick-up along Falls Rd/Church St as a part of NC Litter Sweep (2 times).
- Painted Children’s Park Building.
- Donated to Scorer’s Tables at Fletcher Field
- Monthly Walks on the Greenway (warm months)
- Tails & Trails on the Greenway
- Sent reps to each WalkRCV meeting.
- Under the direction of Councilman Delp and his wife, had several planting sessions at McGalliard Falls with approximately 20 shrubs/trees and 400 flowers/bulbs planted (donated from community).
- Currently 40 members (individuals, family and corporate).
- Worked with 2 Girl Scouts on their Silver Project – Bird Sanctuary at McGalliard Falls. 50 birdhouses built, welcome sign, 11 crepe myrtles, 7 rose of Sharon, 7 echinacea, 4 black eye susans, 2 clematis, 2 sedums, 5 stella de ora, 4 hostas, 3 loropetalum, 9 liriope, 3 tall grasses. Continuing watering and weed killing.
- Wrote letter to support town’s free WiFi grant application–how it would benefit parks. Grant awarded.
- Spoke at the August Town Council Meeting in favor of getting loan to complete Splash Park. Also, presented 3 more speakers and 20 audience participants with signs.
- Made suggestions of how to renovate the tennis courts at McGalliard Falls. Had pump track consult.
- Met with Rec Department to make recommendations on playground equipment at splash park
- Held 3 free workshops for Seniors to create Living Will and Healthcare Power of Attorney
- Helped physically with landscaping at new splash park. Paid for 8 dogwoods to be installed.
- Hosted Focus Group sessions for input on Valdese Lakeside Park
- Provided trail mix, waters and tours at Ribbon Cutting
- Helped groups organize cleanups on streets and at parks
- Hosting Monthly Memory Cafe
- Cleanups at VLP and continued grass cutting, trail clearing
- National Trails Day Event at VLP for community
- New Year’s Resolution Trail Runs
President- Beth Heile
Vice President- Spence Borden
Don Brittain, Gavin Smith, Quez Little, Val Scott, Rick Pons
Alternates: Roy Sweezy, Mike Bachelder